The Institute for Peace and Diplomacy hosted a panel discussion titled ‘Iran Nuclear Talks at an Impasse‘ on Wednesday, March 16, 2022.
After a year of negotiations in Vienna to restore the JCPOA, the eleventh-hour demand by the Russians to receive a guarantee that sanctions over the Ukraine invasion will not impact their trade and cooperation with Iran has derailed the negotiations. EU negotiator Enrique Mora announced on Friday that a “pause” is needed due to “external factors.” This expert roundtable aims to discuss the Russian factor in the talks and possible solutions for the United States, Iran, and other JCPOA participants to break the impasse.
- Sanam Vakil: Deputy Director, Middle East and North Africa Programme, Chatham House
- Mark Fitzpatrick: Associate Fellow & Former Head, Non-Proliferation Programme, IISS; Former US Deputy Assistant Secretary for Non-Proliferation
- Nasser Hadian: Professor of International Relations, University of Tehran
- Ali Vaez: Senior Adviser to the President & Iran Project Director, International Crisis Group
- Bijan Ahmadi: Executive Director, Institute for Peace & Diplomacy